Night Owl to Early Bird


After an 11 day struggle to wake up early, today (12-Oct-21), I woke up at 04:30 AM. 
It has been 12 days since I had left my job, and during this phase of my life, I wanted to utilize my time to build some new habits which include writing a personal blog and also fix certain aspects of my life which I felt sheepish about. 
One such habit that I wanted to build was to start my day early. Although there is no evident proportionality relating this habit to productivity levels (personal experience), when we browse the internet, it throws at us a bunch of articles on the perks of waking up early. Well, those could be true but my belief is that it has more to do with the cultural and social beliefs of a demographic community that influences one to believe in such a thing. In my place (Tamil Nadu), waking up late is often drawn a parallel with less productivity, laziness, and an unorganized lifestyle. It is indeed an ethnic practice or could be attributed to the job which was predominant throughout the region. Agriculture was the main occupation, and all other practices and professions were built around this elephant in the room. 
 Agriculture, by its nature, requires a lot of physical effort. Often people wake up early to dodge the sun which has a drastic effect on productivity levels. And it becomes impossible to work after sunset. So the major chunk of the work has to be carried out early in the morning between 4 to 9 AM after which the productivity levels eventually drop. 
Well all those being said, last 10 days I went to bed every night hoping to wake up early but ended up scrolling through my mobile applications until I fall asleep around 1 AM or 2. I believe waking up early can give me plenty of time to plan for the day. When I woke up by 8:30 AM it gave me less time to plan and act. Indian markets open by 9 AM and I would have to rush to see whether my orders are executed and to work on my intraday trades. Then start my studies hoping things will get better soon. The cascading challenge when I wake up early is not to fall asleep during the day.

Today is day 1 of waking up early, I hope to build a streak. Let's see how that pans out.

Comments